Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Identify Viewpoints

In this worksheet, students will develop and cement their understanding of viewpoints, identifying evidence to support their arguments.

'Identify Viewpoints' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Year:  Year 8 English worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Writing

Curriculum subtopic:   Summarise and Organise Materials, Ideas and Arguments

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

When we read a text, we can often immediately identify the writer's viewpoint.

Being able to provide evidence for our understanding of a viewpoint is a key skill in English.

a magnifying glass

In this activity, we will read a witness statement regarding an extra-terrestrial encounter and work to provide evidence for the writer's viewpoint and the arguments they make.

Have a read of the text and get ready for the questions!

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing this witness statement to recount an extraordinary and bewildering experience I had on Thursday night at approximately 11:15 pm. This encounter has left an indelible mark on my memory, and I believe it is my responsibility to document it for the record.

On Thursday, I was driving along Bath Lane in Sporton, when I noticed an unusual, luminous object in the night sky. The object did not resemble any conventional aircraft or celestial body I had ever seen. It emitted a soft, pulsating glow that changed colours intermittently from a radiant blue to a vivid green.

Intrigued and somewhat alarmed by this inexplicable sight, I pulled my car to the side of the road and got out to observe the object more closely. As I stood there, the object descended slowly towards the ground, hovering just above the tree line approximately 10 metres from my location.

What happened next defies all logic and conventional understanding of reality. From the luminous object, a hatch or portal of sorts opened, and I saw figures emerging from within. These figures were unlike anything I had ever seen before. They were tall, slender, with elongated limbs. Their skin appeared to have a luminescent quality. Their heads were disproportionately large compared to their bodies and they had large, almond-shaped eyes that glowed with an otherworldly intensity.

I was frozen in place. A mixture of awe, fear, and disbelief coursing through me as I watched these beings descend to the ground. They appeared to move gracefully and effortlessly, almost as if they were floating rather than walking. The beings did not make any attempt to approach me or communicate directly, but I sensed a profound sense of intelligence and curiosity emanating from them.

The encounter lasted for approximately 9 minutes though time seemed to stand still during those moments. After a period, the beings returned to the luminous object, which then ascended rapidly into the night sky, disappearing in the blink of an eye.

I am aware that this account may sound outlandish and fantastical, but I assure you that I am of sound mind and have no history of hallucinations or mental health issues. I am writing this statement in the hope that it might contribute to the broader understanding of such phenomena and perhaps provide insight to others who may have had similar experiences.

I am willing to cooperate fully with any investigation or enquiry into this matter and am available to provide additional details or clarification if required.

I solemnly affirm the accuracy of the above statement to the best of my ability.

alien spacecraft

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents