Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Write Texts in the First, Second and Third Person

In this worksheet, students will use the first, second and third person to write texts for different purposes.

'Write Texts in the First, Second and Third Person' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Year:  Year 3 English worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Composition

Curriculum subtopic:   Plan What to Write

Popular topics:   Writing worksheets

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

Diaries and personal letters are written in the first person (using 'I' and 'we').

postcard

Instructions and directions are written in the second person (using 'you').

list of instructions

Narrative texts and recounts are usually written in the third person (using 'he', 'she', 'it' and 'they'), although they can sometimes be written in the first person.

newspaper

In the example below, Jenny has written about her walk to school. She has written it in the first person, which means she uses 'I' when she talks about herself.

I walk out of my front door and down the garden path. Then I turn left onto Cherry Avenue. At the end of the road, I turn right at the post box. I cross the road and walk to the end of Tamar Drive. My school is on the left.

In this activity, you can practise using the first, second and third person to write different types of text.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Popular English topics

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents