Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Apply Congruence Rules

In this worksheet, students will find congruent shapes using the following rules: SSS (three sides are equal), RHS (right angle, hypotenuse and sides are equal), SAS (two corresponding sides and the angle between them are equal), and AAS (two pairs of angles and a pair of corresponding sides are equal).

'Apply Congruence Rules ' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

Year:  GCSE

GCSE Subjects:   Maths

GCSE Boards:   AQA, OCR, Eduqas, Pearson Edexcel,

Curriculum topic:   Geometry and Measures, Basic Geometry

Curriculum subtopic:   Properties and Constructions Angles

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

Today I saw twin pandas... that BEARS repeating!

PandaPanda

Also, I found out I had a TWIN sister... I am beside myself!

Oh come on, what better way to introduce the topic of congruency than with a few jokes?

In maths, we come across congruent triangles mainly, but occasionally other congruent shapes.

A congruent shape is one which is exactly the same shape and size as another, but it may have been rotated.

When this occurs, it can be useful to know and apply the rules the rules of congruency so that we can solve a related geometric problem. 

Let's look at these rules now...

Rule 1 of congruence (SSS)

Rule 2 of congruence (RHS) 

Rule 3 of congruence (SAS)

Rule 4 of congruence (AAS)

As we can see in these diagrams, all the shapes are the same size.

However, we need to be able to identify the corresponding sides and angles, which can be a little tricky when the shape in question has been rotated

Let's have a go at identifying congruent shapes in some activities now. 

In this activity, we will put the four rules above into practice by identifying when they do and do not apply, plus solve problems where their application allows us to reach the correct answer. 

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents